Wednesday 24 March 2010

New beginnings...

I've talked for so long about this with friends and family (and anyone who had dared venture to ask!) and till then it has always seemed like a Plan. Now the time has come for this Plan to come to fruition and I can't believe that it is going to happen. How do I even describe what it feels like? A sharp turn on the road, or better yet, like being on a rollercoaster: you know that first bit after you've done that almighty climb and the rollercoaster's sort of teetering at the cusp, and you think "uh-oh" cos you know that in a matter of nano-seconds, your heart is going to lurch out into your stomach. It's the scary-exhilarated-anticipation kind of feeling.

It's taken quite a bit of courage for me to leave behind a good job with good pay in the corporate world and venture into the realm of cuisine, pretty much the unknown. But I guess it is true, if I don't do it now I will never know. I read something on a friend's FB page today, one of her thoughts of the day. It said that sometimes you just need courage to seize the moment, else you will in retrospect, wish that all you had was a little bit more courage.

I have read so much about the culinary world to prepare myself mentally and emotionally for it, but I still don't feel like I am equipped. So many "what ifs" still swimming in my head... I used to have a sense of adventure, but I think that has mellowed as I have grown older. I think it is the devil-may-care attitude that youth is so full of, and that was me...then. This is now. With age comes responsibility, obligations - you think more about the future and about raising a family, buying a house, retiring. And you think about whether you have the personal capacity to still go ahead with this despite not knowing what lies ahead. It is an adventure, and I'd like to think that all adventures test a person's mettle. I will be tested by fire (maybe literally, being in the kitchen!) but I pray that I emerge unscathed.

Class starts on Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy you took the dive. We only live once, and now's a better time than never to try new things out. All the best in your new journey.

    ReplyDelete